Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (बृहन्मुम्बई महानगरपालिका) is governed by the Mumbai Municipal Corporation Act, of 1888. The BMC is recognised as an urban local self-governing body under the 74th Constitutional Amendment of 1992. It is one of the largest urban municipal corporations in India.
The BMC is divided into 24 administrative Wards in Mumbai. It ensures that every citizen or resident can get civic services and public utilities (water, road, streetlights, drainage, etc.). If you have a complaint about the services listed below, may use the available citizen helplines of the BMC.
|Notice - Be alert! Don't disclose the financial or banking details and don't share OTP with any customer care executive. Protect yourself from Frauds and Scams. Report to Cyber Crime Bureau or Call 1930 as soon as possible to protect your earnings and others.|
Major Public Utilities and Civic Centric Services of the Brihanmumbai Mahanagarpalika in Mumbai:
- Water Supply: For managing the water supply in Mumbai, including the treatment and distribution of drinking water.
- Sewerage and Sanitation: Manages sewage and sanitation systems, including the collection and treatment of sewage, and the maintenance of public toilets.
- Solid Waste Management: Collects, transports, and disposes of solid waste, cleanliness management, including the operation of landfill sites.
- Road Maintenance & Transports: Maintains roads including the repair, building of bridges, construction of new roads, streetlights, and bus transport management.
- Health Services: Operates a number of hospitals and clinics in Mumbai and provides health services (primary health centres, hospitals, etc.) to the citizens of the city.
- Education: Operates schools and colleges to ensure quality education
- Housing/land: For affordable housing, parks & playgrounds, property tax, and regulations for the property/land
- Pollution & Traffic Management– Noise pollution, air pollution, and traffic management-related services/issues.
- Licensing and Regulation: Issues licenses and permits for businesses and activities including building permits, vendor registration, and trade licenses.
- Fire & Disaster Management: Manages disasters, fires, and emergencies including rescue and relief efforts/operations within the jurisdiction of BMC in Mumbai.
If any resident of Mumbai is facing issues with the public utilities and civil-centric services of BMC then you may use the toll-free citizen helpline number or file an online complaint to the respective department. You may also write an application or visit the regional office of your Ward. If not resolved then approach the higher nodal officers of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation.
Tips – If you have already registered a complaint to the respective departments of the BMC but problems are not resolved or not satisfied with the responses/redressal then you may escalate the previous complaint or lodge a grievance to the Public Grievance Cell of the Brihanmumbai Mahanagarpalika. Read below the instructions, contact details, and procedures.
How to File a Complaint to Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC)?
The BMC (BrihanMumbai Municipal Corporation) is the largest urban local body in India which ensures that every citizen who resides in Mumbai should get fast and seamless services without any hurdles or issues. For this, it has an integrated complaint redressal mechanism. The toll-free citizen helpline numbers are available 24×7 to provide help and resolve complaints.
Complaint Registration Fee & Redressal Timeline:
|Registration Fee||No Charges (₹0)|
|Redressal Time Limit||Immediately or up to 30 days (depending on the issues or as per the Citizen Charter)|
To know more, read the Citizen Charter of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation.
The Ways to Register A Complaint to BMC:
- Citizen Helpline Numbers – Toll-free Numbers and Contact Numbers at the Control Rooms of Wards
- Register Online Complaint – Mobile App or Online Portal
- For Unresolved Complaints – Public Grievance Cell of BMC
Each ward has a control room where you can register a complaint, ask for help, or report any unusual problems about the civil services or public utilities like water, streetlight, roads, infrastructure, or others by calling the helpline numbers. You may also file an online complaint at the mobile app or portal of the BMC.
Note – The nodal officers of the public grievance cell are the authorities where you may lodge a grievance to get redressal of unresolved complaints. You may also report the Vigilance officer of the Vigilance Department of BMC about harassment, unethical practices, or misuse of powers by any officer or employee.
BMC Helpline Number
If you are living in Mumbai and facing any issues with public utilities and civic-centric services, the centralised toll-free citizen helpline numbers and control room numbers of wards are available 24×7 to resolve your issues and provide emergency help. You may call or WhatsApp (citizen assistant chatbot) to register a complaint or seek help for specific services.
You may also visit the administrative offices of the respective Wards to submit a written application to report the issue or complaint about any services to the concerned department. After successful registration or submission of complaint/application, always ask for the reference number or acknowledgement number to track status & future reference (as evidence/proof).
The Toll-Free Citizen Helpline Numbers of Brahnmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC):
|BMC Centralised Complaint Number||1916|
|MyBMC WhatsApp Number||+918999228999|
|BMC Officers’ Contact Numbers/E-mail||Click Here|
|Submit your Feedback||Click Here|
Note – If not satisfied or the complaint is unresolved within the given timeline then you may file an online complaint to BMC and further can lodge a grievance to the Nodal officer of the Public Grievance Department of BMC. Read the instructions and information from the sections below.
The Helpline of Solid Waste Management, BMC
The E-mail and Helpline Numbers of the Solid Waste Management Department of BMC for Complaints Related to:
- If not completed within 12 Hours:
- Sweeping is not done.
- In public toilets – no water supply or electricity, not cleaned, or the toilet is chocked.
- The garbage dump or garbage vehicle has not arrived.
- The dustbin is not cleaned.
- If within 24 Hours:
- the debris is not collected from public roads or households.
- If within 48 hours:
- The dead animals are not picked up.
Then, Lodge a Complaint at:
|BMC Complaint Number (for Cleanliness)||+912224935687|
||Android | iOS|
If not resolved or unsatisfied with the response, you may file an online complaint or can contact the respective department office of the regional Wards.
Citizen Control Room Helpline Numbers of BMC Wards
The citizen helpline and contact numbers of different control rooms of the respective Wards of the BMC can be used to report complaints or get assistance for emergency services.
Control Room Helpline Numbers of Respective BMC Wards Offices:
1. Ward A:
|Control Room Number||+912222624000|
|Address||134 / E, Shahid Bhagat Singh Marg, Near Reserve Bank of, Mumbai – 400001.|
|Jurisdiction||Fort, parts of Ballard Estate, Shahid Bhagat Singh Road, P D’Mello Road, Marine Drive (Queen’s Necklace), AP Marg, Carnac Road (Lokmanya Tilak Marg) and Colaba.|
2. Ward B:
|Control Room Number||+912223794000|
|Address||121, Ramchandra Bhatt Marg, Babulla Tank Cross Lane, Opp J J Hospital, Mumbai – 400009.|
|Jurisdiction||parts of P D’Mello road, IR Road, Abdul Rehman Street, RB Marg, MA Road, JMR Marg and Carnac Road (Lokmanya Tilak Marg).|
3. Ward C:
|Control Room Number||+912222014000|
|Address||76, Shrikant Palekar Marg, Chandanwadi, Mumbai – 400002.|
|Jurisdiction||Chandanwadi, parts of IR Road, Abdul Rehman Street, Netaji Subhash Road, Maulana Shaukat Ali Road, Trimbak Parshuram St., Ardeshir Dady Jaykar St, Vitthalbhai Patel Road, Babasaheb J. Marg, Lokmanya Tilak Marg, Vasudeo Balvant Phadke Chowk, Anandilal Poddar Marg and Marine Drive.|
4. Ward D:
|Control Room Number||+912223864000|
|Address||Jobanputra Compound, Nana Chowk, Grant Road (W), Mumbai 400007.|
|Jurisdiction||Grant Road, Dr.D.B.Marg, V. P. Road, Ardeshir Dadi Street, Trimbak Parshuram Street, Sukhiaji Street, Netaji Subhash Road, D. N. Purandare Marg, Walkeshwar Road, B. lndrajit Road, Breach Candy up to Haji Ali, Boman Behram Marg, Aurthur Road, Tardeo Road, Cumballa and Malabar Hills, Keshavrao Khade Marg, B. Jaikar Marg up to Bhuleshwar Naka, Crossing M. K. Road up to Seashore.|
5. Ward E:
|Control Room Number||+912223014000|
|Address||10, Shaikh Haffizuddin Marg, Byculla (W), Mumbai – 400008.|
|Jurisdiction||Byculla, parts of Reay Road, West Sane Guruji Marg, Jahangir Boman Behram Marg, Sukhalaji Street, Dattaram Lad Marg, South Ramchandra Bhatt Marg, Wadi Bunder and Maulana Shaukataii Road.|
6. Ward F North:
|Control Room Number||+912224084000|
|Address||Plot No.96, Bhau Daji Road, Kings Circle, Matunga (E), Mumbai – 400019.|
|Jurisdiction||Matunga, parts of Thane Creek and Mankikar Marg.|
7. Ward F South:
|Control Room Number||+912224103000|
|Address||Junction of Dr Ambedkar Marg and Jagannath Bhatankar Marg, Parel, Mumbai – 400012.|
|Jurisdiction||The area of Parel.|
8. Ward G North:
|Control Room Number||+912224397888|
|Address||Harishchandra Yelve Marg, Behind Plaza Cinema, Dadar (W), Mumbai – 400028.|
|Jurisdiction||Dadar comes under this ward.|
9. Ward G South:
|Control Room Number||+912224224000|
|Address||Dhanmill Naka, N M Joshi Marg, Mumbai – 400013.|
|Jurisdiction||N. M. Joshi Marg and Worli come under this ward.|
10. Ward H East:
|Control Room Number||+912226114000|
|Address||Plot No 137, TPS IV, Road No 2, Prabhat Colony, Santacruz (E), Mumbai 400055.|
|Jurisdiction||Parts of Bandra, Khar, Santacruz, parts of CST Road, Vile Parle, Mahim and Dharavi. come under this ward.|
11. Ward H West:
|Control Room Number||+912226444000|
|Address||Saint Martins Road, Behind Bandra Police Station, Bandra (W), Mumbai – 400050.|
|Jurisdiction||Bandra, parts of Khar and Santacruz come under this ward.|
12. Ward K East:
|Control Room Number||+912226847000|
|Address||Azad Road, Gundavali, Andheri (E), Mumbai – 400069.|
|Jurisdiction||Andheri (East), Vile Parle (East), and Jogeshwari (East) come under this ward.|
13. Ward K West:
|Control Room Number||/-|
|Address||Paliram Road, Near S.V. Road, Opp. Andheri Railway Station, Andheri (W), Mumbai, 400058.|
|Jurisdiction||Andheri (West) and Oshiwara come under this ward.|
14. Ward P North:
|Control Room Number||+912228826000|
|Address||Liberty Garden, Mamlatdar Wadi Marg, Malad (W), Mumbai – 400064.|
|Jurisdiction||Malad comes under this ward.|
15. Ward P South:
|Control Room Number||+912228727000|
|Address||CTS No 746, Village Pahadi, S V Road, Goregaon (W), Mumbai – 400104.|
|Jurisdiction||Goregaon, parts of Malad and Oshiwara come under this ward.|
16. Ward R Central:
|Control Room Number||+912228931188|
|Address||R/central ward chandaverkar road near Borivali Station Borivali (W).|
|Jurisdiction||Bhandup Sanjay Gandhi National Park (National Park), Gorai, Kulvem Village (Devidas Lane) N.D. Zone to Link Road from Devidas lane to N.C. Phadke fly-over bridge and Daulat Nagar, Cemetery River to Nancy Colony 44′-0 wide Road, Chogale Nagar, Borivali (E), Khatao Estate, Bhor Industries 90′-0 wide D.P. Road, Railway subway Poisar Depot, 90′-0 Borsapada Road. Mahavir Nagar RDP-4, Charkop up to Creek come under this ward.|
17. Ward R North:
|Control Room Number||+912228936000|
|Address||Municipal Office Building, CTS No 921/7, Dahisar Gaon, Rustomji Colony, Rangnath Keskar Marg, Dahisar (W), Mumbai – 400068.|
|Jurisdiction||Dahisar comes under this ward.|
18. Ward R South:
|Control Room Number||+912228054788|
|Address||Mahatma Gandhi Cross Road No 2, Near Sardar V Patel Swimming Pool, Kandivali (W), Mumbai – 400067.|
|Jurisdiction||Thakur Complex, Thakur Village, Lokhandwala Township, MG Road Kandivali (West), Patel Nagar, Mathuradas Road etc. come under this ward.|
19. Ward L:
|Control Room Number||+912226505109|
|Address||Laxmanrao Yadav Market Building, S V Barve Marg, Kurla (W), Mumbai – 400070.|
|Jurisdiction||Kurla, Chandivali, Saki Naka, Tunga village, and parts of Powai come under this ward.|
20. Ward M East:
|Control Room Number||+912225558789|
|Address||Madhukar Tukaram Marg, Deonar Colony, Govandi, Mumbai – 400043.|
|Jurisdiction||Govandi and a few areas of Chembur come under this ward.|
21. Ward M West:
|Control Room Number||+912225284000|
|Address||Prakash Thorat Marg, Near Natraj Cinema, Chembur, Mumbai – 400070.|
|Jurisdiction||G.M. Link Road to Suman Nagar Junction and from Mahul to Somayya Nallah come under this ward.|
22. Ward N:
|Control Room Number||+912225013000|
|Address||Jawahar Road, Ghatkopar (E), Mumbai – 400077.|
|Jurisdiction||Ghatkopar comes under this ward.|
23. Ward S:
|Control Room Number||+912225954000|
|Address||Lal Bahadur Shastri Marg, Mangatram Petrol Pump, Bhandup (W), Mumbai – 400078.|
|Jurisdiction||Bhandup comes under this ward.|
24. Ward T:
|Control Room Number||+912225694000|
|Address||Lala Devidayal Marg, Near Panch Rasta, Mulund (W), Mumbai 400080.|
|Jurisdiction||Mulund comes under this ward.|
To know more about wards, visit the BMC on Map – Ward Offices.
Tips – If complaints or issues are not resolved or unsatisfied with the response, may escalate the concerns to the respective department of BMC by a written application or file an online complaint and further may approach the appointed grievance cell officer of BMC.
Register an Online Complaint
Branhmumbai Municipal Corporation has an integrated complaint registration mechanism to redress the issues of the citizens of Mumbai. You may use the mobile app or portal to register an online complaint about public utilities (water, drainage, school, health, roads, etc.), civil-centric services (property tax, vendors, streetlights, etc.), or issues related to the departments of the BMC or respective Wards.
The Links of BMC (Brihanmumbai Mahanagarpalika) to File an Online Complaint:
|Register an Online Complaint to BMC||File a Complaint|
|Track the Complaint Status||Track Status|
|E-mails of Councillors||Click Here|
|Mobile App||Android | iOS|
|Social Media||Twitter | Facebook|
Removal of Encroachment and Illegal Construction in Mumbai:
File an online complaint to the Removal of Encroachment Department, BMC about unauthorized/illegal construction and encroachments in Mumbai city. For this, you may use the Removal of Encroachment Department Tracking and Data Management (RETMS) portal.
|File an Online Complaint – Encroachment||Click Here|
|Download Complaint Form||View/Download|
|E-mail (for BFTS Help & Grievance)||[email protected]|
Tips – After successful registration of your complaints, note down the reference number for future usage.
Follow the instructions and procedure to file an online complaint to BMC without making any mistakes so your issues can be resolved within the specified timeline (as per the Citizen Charter).
The Procedure to Lodge an Online Complaint:
Step 1: Visit the link to file an online complaint to BMC from the table above. Select the link and open the online grievance registration form.
Step 2: Fill out the following mandatory information in the form:
- Define the Nature of the Complaint – Select the type and sub-type, and provide a brief description of the issue (within 150 characters).
- Location of complaint – Enter the address where the issue occurred or the location about which you want to lodge a complaint.
- Name and Address of the Complainant – Enter your or the complainant’s name and address with contact details like mobile number, e-mail, etc.
Step 3: Click the preview button and check the filled details. Attach the supportive documents/image or any evidence as proof (If any).
Step 4: Finally, Submit the online complaint form and note down the reference/complaint number to track the status, also can be used for future reference (if the issue does not resolve).
Note – If not satisfied or your complaints are not resolved within the time limit as per the Citizen Charter then you may approach the Public Grievance Cell of the respective department or lodge an online grievance.
Major Online Services of BMC
Some useful online citizen-centric services of BMC that reduces the effort and time of the residents of Mumbai are listed here. The major online services like public utility bills (water, property tax payment, birth/death registration, application, etc.), vendor registration, and many other services.
Major Online Civic Services of Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation are:
|Apply Online for Birth/Death Certificate (RBD)||Click Here|
|Apply for Marriage Certificate||Apply Now|
|Apply Online for Building Approval (BMC)||Click Here|
|Online Vendor Registration Form||Click Here|
Pay Online the Bills of Civic/Public Utilities Services of BMC:
|Pay Online Water Bill||Pay Now|
|Pay Online Property Tax||Pay Now|
|Online Payment For Applications||Pay Now|
Tips – Visit the citizens section of website portal.mcgm.gov.in to pay bill/charges for other services like FICO collection, business, vendor payments, etc.
Public Grievance Redressal Cell, BMC
The Public Grievance Redressal Officers are the nodal officers of the respective departments of the BMC where citizens may lodge a grievance about previously unresolved or unsatisfactory complaints. You may escalate the complaint or lodge a written grievance to these respective departments of the Brihanmumbai Mahanagarpalika or the Public Relations Department.
You may e-mail the Dy. Municipal Commissioner (HQ) at [email protected] with the reference number of the registered complaint and supportive documents.
Residents can also lodge an online grievance through the Aaple Sarkar Grievance Redressal Portal for the Citizens of Maharashtra. For this follow the links below.
Aaple Sarkar Grievance Redressal Portal – Lodge an Online Grievance:
|Lodge an Online Grievance||Post Grievance|
|Track the Status of the Registered Grievance||Track Grievance|
|Citizen Helpline Number||18001208040|
Note – While submission of the online form, attach the supportive documents and reference/complaint number or responses of previously registered complaints to the BMC.
After the successful registration of your grievance, don’t forget to note down the reference number to track your status and it can also be used as evidence of grievance registration. So, always be aware and know your citizen’s rights to get fair and transparent public services.
Tips – If not satisfied with the final response or redressal by the grievance officers, may approach the higher authorities like the administrative tribunal, Lokayukta of Maharashtra, or legal court as per your case/issue.
The Major Categories and Sub-categories of Issues:
The list of departments and respective major categories and sub-types of the nature of complaints & issues:
1. Solid Wate Management:
- Garbage not lifted from co-authorized collection points, municipal market, or house gully.
- The collection point was not attended to properly.
- The garbage lorry was not reported for service or not covered.
- Request for Providing, removing, or replacing the dustbins.
- Sweeping of roads or removal of dead animals.
- Cleaning of P.S.C. block/channels, removal of debris, or silt to be lifted on road.
- Report for no attendance at public toilets
- Non-attendant of Nuisance Detector or lifting of tree cutting.
2. Drainage Management:
- Report the Drainage chokes and blockages, Overflowing drains or manholes, or Odour (foul smell) from drains.
- Request/report for replacement of missing/damaged manholes/inspection, Raising of manholes (except in Monsoon), and Cleaning of septic tanks or repair to pipe sewers/main sewers.
3. Storm Water Drain Management:
- Issues related to Flooding during monsoon or pre-monsoon work halted, or request for providing damaged/missing grating manhole covers over SWDs
- Request for removal of silt from Nalla/across culverts, repair or cleaning to damaged/open SWD, and cleaning of water entrance.
- Report unauthorized stalls and huts on Nallas.
4. Roads and Traffic:
- Report the Manholes, Bad patches, dangerous trees, or flooding spot/crosscut-related issues and others like street furniture – tree guards, foot railing, bollards, litter bins, seating, bus shelter, etc.
- Issues related to divider/median, bad patches, potholes on roads, repairs/ re-surfacing of roads/ footpaths, or unauthorized digging of roads.
- Removal of rank regulation on roads, Reinstatement of tranches, providing nameplates to the roads, street lighting, signals, speed breakers, or unauthorized stalls on roads.
- Nuisance due to masala mills.
- Air pollution, pollution due to chemical effluents, or report the unauthorized factories, workshop, or garage.
6. License Related:
- Report the unauthorized stalls on roads, footpath or SWD drain and others like unauthorized banners/advertisements/boards on roads/footpaths.
- Unauthorized storage of explosives, trade without a license, unauthorized workshop or garage, and storage & sale of plastic bags.
7. Water Supply:
- Complaints about the issues related to leaks in water lines, burst water main pipelines, contaminated water supply, shortage of water supply, and others like Unauthorized tapping of water connections or use of water-change of the user, etc.
- Use of booster pump, removal of water meters, request for providing water by tankers, Report if water supply during non-supply hours.
- Leakage near the meter, overflow of overhead tank/ suction tank, or complaint about not receipt of water bills.
8. Colony Officer:
- Unauthorized construction/ repair/ renovation in slums or extension/construction and commercial activities, delay in the transfer case, etc.
9. Pest Control:
- Mosquitos, rat nuisance, fogging, nuisance due to white ants, cockroaches, or unauthorized/uncovered water storage tanks.
- Any form of unauthorized development/ construction/ alteration/renovation of a building or flat, heavy leakage/ceiling, etc.
11. Repairs to Municipal Properties:
- Maintenance of schools, dispensaries, maternity homes, gardens, playgrounds, or municipal properties. Any other repair in municipal colonies or properties.
- Issuance of death/birth certificate, unauthorized food selling/preparation or flour mill.
- Any issues related to municipal hospitals.
13. Garden & Trees:
- Permission for tree trimming, road tree trimming, and fallen trees in the public or PVT premises.
- Request for garden cleaning, garden lights, lifting the tree cutting/ wood, garden repair/maintenance and removal of dead/dangerous trees.
- Report for encroachment of municipal land – road/footpath/ stormwater drain, Municipal plot, etc.
- Related to hawkers, private land, building, society, or factories.
15. Shops & Establishment:
- Report child labour (employing children below 14 in the organization), or the shop/establishment is running without a license. Issues related to the online renewal application.
- Report if open beyond permissible hours, non-observance of holidays, not providing minimum wages, shop open on weekly holidays, or found staff working more than on muster.
- Issues pertaining to rent, transfer of tenancy, unauthorized construction/use of plot/room, non-Maintainance of premise, or pending transfer cases.
- Report the unauthorized alteration/addition of the premise or materials/furniture found on the premise. Other issues like slabs fallen down, and unauthorized sheds or buildings on the premise.
- Issues related to water supply, toilets, broken doors/windows/staircases/ furniture, no electricity supply, lamp/tube light replacement, etc. Report any form of encroachment on the school premises.
- Report about the non-availability of teachers and other issues related to municipal schools.
- Report if the incorrect assessment of property, non-availability of bills, property of annexures, transfer of property, no dues certificate, etc.
- Issues related to receipt against online payment, the requirement to assess the property, wrong billing name, address or name of the assessee. Other assessment issues like wrong outstanding, payment-related complaints, or delays in the refund.
19. Retired Employees Complaints:
- Report if pension/family pension not started, current month or arrears of pension/FP and gratuity not received. Other issues related to retired employees.
- Other issues/complaints about the sewerage operation control, legal, establishment (superior/labour), office superintendent, and environment (air pollution).
Frequently Asked Questions about Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation
Q. What is the citizen helpline number of Brihanmumbai Mahanagarpalika (BMC)?
A. The toll-free citizen helpline number for help & complaints is 1916 and the WhatsApp number for assistance is +918999228999, you may use the citizen helplines of BMC in Mumbai.
Q. Where can I register a complaint if garbage or solid waste is not cleaned?
A. You can e-mail [email protected], call +912224935687, or use the Swachhta App to register a complaint to BMC about solid waste management.
Q. Where can I approach if my complaints are not resolved by the BMC?
A. You may lodge a written grievance to the Public Relations Department or designated Public Grievance officers of the respective departments. You may also e-mail the administrative officer of the BMC or can lodge a grievance at the Aaple Sarkar Grievance Redressal Portal of the Government of Maharashtra. For unethical practices (harassment, misuse of power, or corruption), you may report to the Chief Vigilance Officer, Department of Vigilance at Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation.
- Citizen Charter – BMC
- FAQs about online complaints – BMC
- Sankalan – General Information by BMC
- Department Manuals of Brihanmumbai Mahanagarpalika