Download the ComplaintHub App

Download the ComplaintHub App

HP Police: How to Lodge an Online FIR or Complaint to Himachal Pradesh Police?


Didn't find any solution? Ask in Complaint Hub Citizen Community, we will help you.

Leave A Review

Customer Service
Quality of service or product
HP Police Logo
Himachal Pradesh Police (Source:

Himachal Pradesh Police is the law enforcement agency for the state of Himachal Pradesh. HP Police operates under the Department of Home (Himachal Pradesh) and is headed by the Director General of Police. It is headquartered in Shimla. The force is responsible to maintain law & order in the state, protecting citizens from illegal/unlawful activities, and investigating serious and complex crimes, such as murder, rape, kidnapping, cybercrime, economic offences, etc.

Some of the major departments and special units are:

Notice - Be alert! Don't share the financial or banking details and don't share OTP to customer care executive. Protect yourself from Frauds and Scams. Report to Cyber Crime Bureau or Call 1930 as soon as possible to protect your earnings and others.
  • Crime Investigation Department (CID)
  • Intelligence Wing
  • Armed Police
  • Women Cell
  • Traffic Police
  • Home Guards and Civil Defence

Other special units are the Crime Branch, Forensic Science Laboratory, Special Branch, Security Wing, Anti-Terrorist Cell, and Disaster Management Cell.

The administrative structure:

  • The DGP Office (State Police HQ) is headed by the Director General of Police (DGP) and all Field and Non-Field departments come under DGP.
  • Himachal Pradesh Police is divided into four ranges, namely Northern Range (NR), Central Range (CR), Southern Range (SR) and Intelligence & CID Range. Each range is headed by an Inspector General of Police (IGP) or a Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG).
  • The ranges are further divided into districts, each headed by a Superintendent of Police (SP) or a Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP). The districts are further divided into sub-divisions, circles, and police stations.

Need help or want to register a complaint with the Himachal Pradesh Police? To file a police complaint or lodge a First Information Report (FIR), you can contact your nearest police station or call the designated police helpline number. Additionally, an online platform is provided for submitting complaints or e-FIRs, specifically designed for non-cognizable offences. Please refer to the detailed guidelines and information below for precise instructions on connecting with the HP Police.

How to File an Online FIR or Complaint to Himachal Pradesh Police?

In Himachal Pradesh, residents have two main methods to report criminal or civil incidents to the police. Firstly, they can use the online citizen grievance portal of the Himachal Pradesh Police. Alternatively, they can visit the nearest local police station in person. To file an online FIR, residents can use the Crime and Criminal Tracking Network & Systems (CCTNS) provided by the Himachal Pradesh Police.

Understanding the Difference between a Police Complaint and an FIR:

  1. Police Complaint: This is an informal way to report an incident, and it can be submitted either orally or in writing. It is applicable for both cognizable and non-cognizable crimes.
  2. FIR (First Information Report): This is a formal report submitted to the police containing initial information about cognizable or non-cognizable offences, be it criminal or civil in nature. To file an FIR, residents need to visit the designated officer at their local police station.

Tip: To learn more about FIR, read “Cognizable or Non-Cognizable Offence: How to file an FIR to Police?

Grievance Redressal Mechanism

According to the citizen charter of the Himachal Pradesh Police, the grievance redressal mechanism for citizen services is structured for transparent resolution by designated officers within defined timeframes. If a police complaint remains unresolved, escalation to higher authorities is an available option.

You can call the emergency helpline number, email your concerns, or use the online complaint filing system provided by the police department.

Organizational Structure of Himachal Pradesh Police
Organizational Structure of Himachal Pradesh Police (

Police Complaint or FIR Fee:

Registration Fee No Charges (₹0)
Resolution Period As per the rules defined by HP Police (read citizen charter)
FIR Filing Immediately at the Police Station
Copy of FIR Free of Cost (mandatory)

The grievance redressal mechanism of HP Police has 3 levels within each administrative division:

  • Level 1: Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP), District
  • Level 2: Inspector General of Police (DIG/IGP), Range
  • Level 3: Director General of Police (DGP), Himachal Pradesh

Note: If your complaints regarding citizen services or police operations, including matters related to misconduct and corruption, are not satisfactorily addressed, you can file an online grievance through the “HP CM Sewa Sankalp (eSamadhan)- Online Public Grievance Monitoring System.” This grievance can be forwarded to the Appellate Officer for the Himachal Pradesh Police within the Government of Himachal Pradesh.

File a Police Complaint or FIR to Himachal Pradesh Police

Suppose you need police intervention for an investigation of a civil to criminal case in Himachal Pradesh. In that case, you have two options: visit your local police station in person or use the online e-FIR system, depending on whether the matter is a cognizable or non-cognizable offence.

Emergency Help:

Report Cybercrime:

1. Police Helpline Number

Citizen Helpline Numbers of HP Police:

Department, HP Police Helpline Number
Emergency Helpline Number (PCR) 112100; +919459100100 (SMS)
Anti-Ragging 18001805522
Anti-Corruption Bureau +911772629893
Report corruption (WhatsApp) +918988700100
Cybercrime +911772620331
State Police Control Room +911772621711, +911772621618

2. Lodge a Police Complaint

To file an online police complaint with the Himachal Pradesh Police, please provide the following details:

  1. Personal Details: Complainant’s Name, Address, and ID Proof (if needed)
  2. Incident Location: The district and exact address where the incident occurred.
  3. Complaint Type: Choose from options such as Crime (Civil/Criminal), Incident, Cyber, or Miscellaneous.
  4. Subject of the Complaint
  5. Detailed Description: Present a comprehensive description of the incident, including relevant details.
  6. Supporting Documents: Attach any supporting documents you may have, such as photos, videos, or any document file.
  7. Scanned Copy of Written Application: If required, attach a scanned copy of the written application with your signature/thumb impression.

For Online Police Complaint:

Complain to HP Police File a complaint
Track complaint status Track now
Give a Citizen Tips Click Here
Email (HQ)
X/Twitter @himachalpolice
Mobile App HP Police
Android | iOS

If your complaints have not been addressed within the specified period, you may escalate the case to the circle/district police headquarters for further attention and resolution.

3. File an FIR

To report an FIR to the Himachal Pradesh Police, you can either visit the nearest Police Station for both civil and criminal cases or file an informal e-FIR on the HP Police portal.

Details required for filing an FIR:

  1. Complainant’s Name and Address
  2. Incident Details: Include the date, location, and a detailed description of the incident along with associated facts.
  3. Victim Information and Statements:
  4. Stolen Properties (if any): Such as jewellery, mobile phone, luggage, or other properties
  5. For Stolen Vehicle Incidents: Specify the vehicle number, model, or RTO registration details.
  6. Attach Documents, Images, or Videos: If available, attach relevant documents, images, or videos to provide additional context for a detailed FIR report.

After successfully submitting your FIR, make sure to obtain a copy of the FIR and details of the acknowledgement/FIR number (if not available in the FIR copy). This documentation is important for your records and any future reference.

e-FIR to Himachal Pradesh Police File an FIR
Contact your Police Station Click Here

Need more information related to Himachal Police? You may file an online RTI (Right to Information) request to the respective Police Department.

Level 1: District Superintendent of Police (SP), HP Police

If your case is pending without any resolution at the local police station or divisional office, particularly in criminal or corruption cases, it is recommended to escalate your complaint to the District Superintendent of Police (SP) within the Himachal Pradesh Police.

Contact District SP:

SP, District Contact Details
SP, Bilaspur Phone: +911978224500
SP, Baddi Phone: +911795245800
SP, Chamba Phone: +911899222242
SP, Hamirpur Phone: +911972292175
SP, Kangra Phone: +911892222244
SP, Kinnaur Phone: +911786222270
SP, Kullu Phone: +911902224700
SP, Lahaul & Spiti Phone: +911900202226
SP, Mandi Phone: +911905222470
SP, Shimla Phone: +911772656535
SP, Sirmaur Phone: +911702225002
SP, Solan Phone: +911792220567
SP, Una Phone: +911975225056
DySP, Nurpur Phone: +911893220455

Level 2: Range Inspector General of Police (IGP)

If your cases or citizen service grievances submitted at the district level are not addressed within the specified period, you can escalate the disputed case to the Inspector General of Police (IGP) at the Range Office.

Contact Range IGP:

IGP, Range Contact Details
DIG, Northern Range Dharamshala Phone: +911892222570
DIG, Central Range Mandi Phone: +911905235800
IGP, Southern Range Shimla Phone: +911772625219
DIG Int., CID Phone: +911892222834
Email: N/A

Level 3: Director General of Police (DGP), Himachal Pradesh Police

In the Himachal Pradesh Police, the Director General of Police (DGP) serves as the administrative Head. The DGP holds authority over all police matters, including the regions under the Range Inspector General of Police (IGP) and other police departments. If there are unresolved complaints or cases, it is recommended to escalate the matter to the DGP Office.

Contact HP DGP Office:

Designation, Department Contact Information
Director General of Police, HP Phone: +911772626938
ADGP HQ Phone: +911772623063
State HQ Contro Room Phone: +911772621614
ADGP Law & Order Phone: +911772626960
SP L&O Phone: +911772621714
ADGP CID Phone: +91177262177
IGP Intelligence Phone: +911772625730
SP Narcotics Phone: +911772629817
ADGP AP&T Phone: +911772627361
ADGP/SV&ACB (Anti-Corruption) Phone: +911772623048

For specialized assistance within the Himachal Pradesh Police, follow the guidelines established by the relevant department. Contact the police control room at the DGP HQ or your Local Police Headquarters for additional support.

You may also get help and support from the nearest police station, and it is advisable to consult with a legal professional, like a lawyer to take legal action or applicable laws within the jurisdiction of Himachal Pradesh.


First published on:


Complaint Hub has verified all the information on the post. If you have not found any solution, or information related to your issue, or want guidance to get redressal of any unique problem/complaint then you can connect with us without any hesitation.

You can message us directly from our Contact Us page or mail us at SUPPORT - We will respond to you with the procedure and guidance for your issues to get a faster resolution.

Read the Terms and Conditions to use the information for any commercial or profit purpose (Don't violate the Terms of Use). All the information is provided for self-help and guidance to know the rights of the common people.


User Reviews (0)

Be first to provide a review, share your opinion.


Overall (0 out of 5)


Filing a complaint about government hospitals

Where to file a complaint against government hospitals?

Haryana CM Grievance Cell Logo

Haryana CM Grievance Cell: File a Complaint About Public Services, Government Offices, or Departments in Haryana?


HMWSSB: How to File a Water Complaint to Hyderabad Metropolitan Water Supply and Sewerage Board?

Chennai City Police Logo

Chennai Police: How to File a Police Complaint and FIR to Chennai City Police?