National Consumer Helpline (NCH) has been launched by the Department of Consumer Affairs. NCH is an integrated grievance redressal mechanism (INGRAM).
NCH has provided various toll-free helpline numbers for the consumers and also an online portal to register grievances about fraud, financial frauds, GST, fake products, and issues or problems with consumer services & products.
|Notice - Be alert! Don't disclose the financial or banking details and don't share OTP with any customer care executive. Protect yourself from Frauds and Scams. Report to Cyber Crime Bureau or Call 1930 as soon as possible to protect your earnings and others.|
To get your required information and helpline details, click to jump and get the related helplines.
What is National Consumer Helpline (NCH)?
National Consumer Helpline (NCH) is an initiative of the Department of the Consumer Affairs, Government of India. NCH make aware of consumer rights and consumers can register complaints and grievances about the services and products.
Consumers can register grievances about fraud, fake products, services, financial frauds, fake transactions and GST, and products of the services. You can also register an online complaint on the portal of NCH.
National Consumer Helpline is working to provide the following help & guidance to register grievances related to Products & Services:
- Make aware and provide details of Companies and Regulatory Authorities.
- Provide guidance and services to consumers for filing grievances against defaulting Service Providers
- Integrated Consumer Grievances Redressal Mechanism to Redress Cases of Consumers
- Mechanisms, Educating Consumers about their Consumer Rights and Responsibilities as per the Consumer Protection Act, 2019.
You can also use the toll-free customer care numbers of NCH to lodge grievances to the concerned company, consumer forum, Ombudsman, and related National, state, or district consumer commission/court.
How can Consumers register Complaints to NCH?
National Consumer Helpline is the portal that is an Integrated Grievance Redressal Mechanism (INGRAM) of the Department of Consumer Affairs, GoI. Consumers can register online complaints using the toll-free customer care & complaint numbers and also can fill out online complaint forms to lodge grievances to the commission.
Some categories of consumer goods and services issues and types of complaints are listed in the below section. You can check the category of your complaints to ease registering grievances.
Official Helpline Details of National Consumer Helpline (NCH)
You can use the official helpline details of the National Consumer Helpline (NCH) to register consumer products & services-related complaints. Read the instructions and information related to the procedure to file an online grievance to NCH below sections.
Official Helpline Numbers and online Grievance Portal of NCH:
|Consumer Helpline/Complaint Numbers||1800-11-4000
|Helpline Number for Cyber Financial Frauds Only||1930|
|SMS Number to Register Consumer Complaint||8130009809|
|Register Online Complaint (INGRAM)||Register Now|
|NCH Mobile App||Andriod | iOS|
Other Services of NCH:
|Track Complaint/Grievance||Track Here|
|Upload Documents (Requested)||Upload Docs Now|
|Grievance Portals of Different Sectors||Click Here|
|Gama (Register Grievances on Misleading Advertisement)||Click Here|
|GST Tax Fraud Report||Report Now|
|Social Media||Twitter | Facebook | Youtube|
Procedure to File Grievance to NCH
Consumers can use the portal of the National Consumer Helpline (NCH) to file complaints on the toll-free customer care numbers or can file an online complaint by filling grievance form.
Use the below methods and procedures to file successfully your grievance related to consumer products & services.
Consumer Complaint Registration Fees & Redressal Time:
|Consumer Grievance Fee of NCH||No Fee (NIL)|
|Grievance Redressal Time||30 to 45 Days|
|Grievance Registration Time||Within 2 Year|
Customer Care Numbers of National Consumer Helpline (NCH)
National Consumer Helpline (NCH) has provided toll-free customer care numbers to register complaints about various categories of goods & services. Follow the below procedure.
Step 1: Customer Care Numbers of National Consumer Helpline (NCH): 1800114000, 14404, 1915
Timing – All Days Except National Holidays (08:00 AM To 08:00 PM)
Helpline Number for Grievance/Complaint related to Cyber Financial Fraud Only: 1930
SMS on The Helpline Number to Get Call Back: 8130009809
Step 2: Choose the given option on the IVS helpline numbers of NCH. Register your complaint about the goods & services as a consumer to a customer care executive.
Step 3: Get the Complaint/Grievance Docket Number to track the status of your registered grievance.
Note – If your grievance is not redressed or unsatisfied with the final order of NCH, you can file a petition to the District Consumer Dispute Redressal Commission, State Commission or National Commission based on the value of goods & services.
Lodge Online Grievance to National Consumer Helpline
Consumers can register online grievances against companies and their products & services to National Consumer Helpline (NCH). Use the below procedure & instructions to file an online complaint.
Step 1: Click Out – Register an online complaint to NCH
Step 2: Fill out the Consumer Registration Forum and enter the given captcha. Click the ‘Sign Up’ button.
Step 3: If you have already an account or register using the above link, log in by clicking out: Log in here NCH account
Step 4: Choose the Grievance Registration Form – 1. Consumer Grievance, 2. Misleading Advertisement, 3. File a complaint in Consumer Commission on E-DAAKHIL
Step 5: To Register a complaint to ‘Consumer Grievance’ and click on it. Fill out the consumer complaint form.
Step 6: Upload the required documents related to the product and services. Consumers can upload supportive documents.
Step 7: Click the ‘Submit’ button. Note down the Grievance Docket Number to track the status of your registered complaint to NCH.
Step 8: Click out – Track NCH grievance to know the status of your registered complaint to the National Consumer Helpline (NCH).
Click Out – Upload the requested documents by NCH then upload the requested documents by NCH.
Note – If your complaint about the consumer products & services is not resolved by National Consumer Helpline in the given time period, or unsatisfied with the final decision of the NCH.
Remember – You can file a petition to the District, State, or National Consumer Dispute Redressal Commission using the Consumer Commission on the E-DAAKHIL portal based on the value of good & service.
File Complaint in Consumer Commission on E-DAAKHIL
E-DAAKHIL portal is a Consumer Commission Online Application Portal, where customers can file grievances to the national consumer commission or state consumer commission/court against the final decision or order of the companies or national consumer helpline (NCH).
Consumers can use the below official details of E-DAAKHIL to file an online complaint. You can also know the guidelines and procedures by visiting the links to tutorials and manuals of E-DAAKHIL.
File Online Complaint to E-DAAKHIL (Consumer Commission):
|File Online Complaint||Register|
|Guide to Online Case Filing (Video)||Click Here|
|First Filing Appeal Online (Video)||Click Here|
|Application Filing by Complainant||Click Here|
|Instructions for E-Filing||Open Now|
Read More: File an Online Complaint to National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC)
Fee Limit of Paid Value of Goods & Services Against Case
The National Commission for Consumers has provided a fee limit based on the value of the goods & services that you have paid it. Complainants have to pay the below-listed feed while registering complaints to District Commission, State Commission, or National Commission.
|Sl. No.||Value of Goods and Services Paid as Consideration||Amount of Fee Payable to Court|
|1.||Up to ₹5,00,000 (Five Lakh)||Nil|
|2.||Above ₹5,00,000 and up to ₹10,00,000||₹200|
|3.||Above ₹10,00,000 and up to ₹20,00,000||₹400|
|4.||Above ₹20,00,000 and up to ₹50,00,000||₹1000|
|5.||Above ₹50,00,000 and up to ₹1,00,00,000 (1 Crore)||₹2000|
|6.||Above ₹1,00,00,000 and up to ₹2,00,00,000||₹2500|
|7.||Above ₹2,00,00,000 and up to ₹4,00,00,000||₹3000|
|8.||Above ₹4,00,00,000 and up to ₹6,00,00,000||₹4000|
|9.||Above ₹6,00,00,000 and up to ₹8,00,00,000||₹5000|
|10.||Above ₹8,00,00,000 and up to ₹10,00,00,000||₹6000|
|11.||Above ₹10,00,00,000 (Ten crore)||₹7500|
Source – Need More Information? Click Out: Consumer Protection Act, 2019
Why Should Consumers Register Complaints to NCH?
Consumers have the right to get fair and best services and products for which they partially or fully pay the companies or service providers. The government of India has provided guidelines about the rights of the consumers.
If any service provider fails to comply with these rights, consumers can register complaints against the service provider or product seller to NCH. For this, National Consumer Helpline (NCH) has provided customer care numbers for various types of consumer complaints.
Types of Consumer Complaints
Consumers can Register complaints about the below-listed industries and their products, and misleading advertisements and also can file online complaints to the consumer commission (E-Daakhil).
1. Misleading Advertisement
Register complaints against misleading advertisements by companies on any platform or in any form. Some below-listed issues can be faced by any consumer.
Consumers can use the online Grievance Against Misleading Advertisement (GAMA) portal to register complaints against the below-listed misleading advertisement issues.
List of the nature of misleading advertisement grievance:
- Country of Origin of Product
- False claims in Advertisement
- Misleading claims in the advertisement
- Not getting benefits as advertised
- Not getting promised gifts/prizes
- Not refunding as advertised
- Wrong information about products or services
2. Consumer Grievance
Types of industries and categories of complaints about the consumer products and services of the industries
1. Agency Services:
- Boutique/Laundry Services; Car/Bike Rental Services/Resale Services
- Entertainment Services – Cinema/Concert/Others; Events – Wedding/Party Services
- Gadget Insurance, Hobbies/Leisure Services; Placement Agencies; Repair Services
- House Cleaning and Improvement Services; Immigration and Visa Services
- Manpower Hiring; Matrimonial; Miscellaneous Services; Personal Care Services
- Agriculture – Others; Fertilizers; Kishan Call Centre; Pesticides; Seed Problem; Seeds and Associated Products
- Airport Authority of India; Domestic Airlines; International Airlines
- Four Wheels/Cars; Two Wheels/Bike
- ATM & Debit Card; Credit Card (other than Digital Payment); e-Wallet; Loans
- Nodal Bank/Government Schemes; Saving/Current/Deposit Accounts
6. Broadband & Internet:
- Broadband & Internet – Others; Activation of Unsubscribed Services/Plan; Amount debited but connection not recharged; Broadband/internet not working/slow speed; Data (wired (fiber) or Wireless services)
- Defective handset/Instruments; Delay in resolving the complaint
- Inflated Bills/overcharging; Network Problems/Call drops issues; Non-Refund/Partial Refund of Security
7. Consumer Durables:
- Bedding/Mattress; Bicycles/Electric Scooters and Bikes; Bike Electronics & Accessories/Car Electronics & Accessories/Tyers
- Consumer Durables – Bulb/Lightening items/LEDs; Fitness/Sports items/Bags/Luggage; Furniture/Modular Works; Grooming Products
- Home Appliances; Inverter & Batteries; Kitchen Hardware/Glassware items/Kitchen items/items/other Hardware
- Musical Instruments/Professional Audio; Pet Food Supplies & Pet Products; Water Pump & Motors; Water Purifiers/RO / Air Purifiers/ vacuum cleaner
8. Courier & Cargo:
- Cargo; Courier; Damage of parcel; Delay in Delivery; Delay in honouring the claim; Excess charging; Missing parcel
- Non-delivery of the parcel; Not providing insurance Documents/Claims; Other & Sector Enquiry; Wrong delivery of parcel
9. Digital Payment Modes:
- BHIM Aadhar/AEPS; BHIM UPI; Debit/Prepaid/Gift Cards; e-Wallet; Internet Banking; Policy Inputs
- RTGS/NEFT/IMPS; UPI Banking; USSD/SMS; Fraudulent transactions
10. Direct Selling:
- Network Marketing; Account blocker/service barred; Amount debited but not credited to the beneficiary; Charging more than MRP; Deficiency in Services; Delivery of defective products
- Delivery of wrong products; Late Delivery/Delay of the product; Not providing replacement as per policy; Paid amount not refunded
- Product/Product Accessories Missing; Promised gift not given; Sale of Spurious / Fake products; Wrong promises by direct selling
11. Drugs & Cosmetics:
- Chemist issues; Cosmetics; Drugs; Charging more than MRP on GST; Country of origin of products; Enquiry about testing drugs & cosmetics; Foreign material/insect/ worm found in medicine
- Incomplete mandatory declarations; Less quantity in packs; Misleading claims about drugs & cosmetics; Reaction/allergy to cosmetics
- Sale of doctor samples; Sale of expired medicine; Sale of spurious drugs & cosmetics; Magical Remedy Products
12. DTH and Cable:
- Cable; DTH; Non refunding of the amount; Bill/Receipt issues; Change of plan without consent; Connection not working; Delay in installation.
- Disconnection of connection without intimation; Faulty set-top box; Inflated bill/overcharging; Not disconnecting connection on request; Service not provided; Signal not clear; Unfair Deduction; Unsatisfactory redressal.
- Comparison sites (Loans/Insurance/Property/Gadgets); Mobile wallets/Payment gateway; Online booking (Hotel/travel/ticket); Online cab services/car rentals; Online food orders/Delivery
- Online loan; Online Pharmacy; Online Rentals (Home/Durables/Etc); Online shopping; Perishables – Shelflife (24hrs)
- Social media marketplace (Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter, Telegram, Instagram, etc); Teleshopping
- Commercial/Private; Electricity – Others; Bills not received on time; Disconnection without any reason; Extra charges for reconnection; Harassment by the enforcement cell
- Inflated bills; Loadshedding and unscheduled power cut; Meter defective, issues; Not providing meter/connection even after payment; Officers demanding bribe
- Pending bills of the old meter; Provisional billing; Unsatisfactory redressal of grievance related to electricity
15. Electronics Products:
- Audio Devices / Home theatre / Bluetooth devices; Camera / Camera Accessories / Handicam; Computer Peripherals / Computer Accessories / Electronics Accessories; Diagnostic Equipment
- Electronics products – Bulb/Lightning Items/LED’s; Electronic products – others; Gaming console/Gaming Accessories/MP3 players; Home security systems/CCTV/Surveillance products
- Laptop/Desktop/PC; Mobile handsets/tablets/landline phone instrument; Networking devices/Networking Accessories; Power banks/mobile accessories
- Printer/Fax/Scanner/Photocopier/Cartridge; Smartwatch/VR/watches; Software/antivirus/paper licenses; Solar devices; TV/Smart TV/LCD/LED
16. Fast-Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG):
- Apparels/Footwears; Construction/Building Materials; Country of origin of products; Defective product received; non-delivery of products
- Paid amount not refunded; Product – Charging under guarantee/warranty period; Housing hardware items/Plumbing/Sanitarywares
- Seeds and Associated products; Toiletries/Sanitary Items/Other Personal Care
- Canteen & Mess – School/college/office/etc; Food premises – Sitting & dining; Food cart/roadside vendor/food van/Dhaba; Home delivery/food aggregators/Takeaway
- Misleading advertisement; Packages of food products; Unlabelled Agri products/ Milk/Meat/Poultry
18. General Enquiry:
- Cyber Crime; Delhi Police Grievance; Fraudulent Complaints; Govt. Identity Services; Govt. Taxes; GST; Right to Information; Women helpline
19. General Insurance:
- Agriculture Insurance; Cattle Insurance; Health Insurance; Liability Insurance; Misleading Advertisement; Motor Insurance; Personal Insurance; Product Insurance; Travel Insurance
20. Govt. Transport:
- Govt. transport; Balance amount/Ticket amount not refunded; The bus does not stop at the bus stand; Diversion of Route
- Misbehaviour; Not providing promised services; Overcharging; Sector Enquiry; Metro Rail
21. Health Services:
- Diagnostic Centres; Hospital Services; Medical Instruments; Medical Negligence – others; Complaint against Laboratory
- Death of Patient; Deficiency in Services; Denied to give first Aid/Admit the patient; The doctor extended the treatment; Doctor not available at a given time/non-availability of doctor
- Doctor prescriptions lead to side effects; Gave wrong reports; Loss of Organ; Misbehaviour by Doctor/Hospital Staff; Not providing admissible/Discharge/Treatment Summery or related Documents; Poor treatment
- Promised treatment not given; Unauthorized charges; Wrong Diagnosis; The wrong part of the body operated; Negligence & Malpractices; Pharmacy & Chemist stores; Stem Cells Organization; Tobacco-Related products
22. Higher Education:
- Apex Level Bodies; Audiometric and speech-language pathology; Autonomous organization; Boards of Apprenticeship Training
- CA Institute; Central Universities; College of Veterinary Sciences & Animal Husbandry; Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR); Higher Education – others
- Academic Quality/Management issue; Deficiency in services; Delay in completion of the course; Inadequate infrastructure; Non-recognition of Univ./College/Inst.
- Non-Partial refund of fees; Not issuing certificate/Diploma/Degree; Not providing basic/promised services; Not returning original documents; Hotel Management Institute
- IIMs, IISC and IISERs; IITs and the Indian Institute of Mass Communication; Indian Maritime University; Institutions related to Hindi and other Indian Languages
- ITI/All skill development programmes; Law Courses; Medical Education & Research/ Nursing Course/ Dental College/ Pharmaceutical Courses; National Institute for the Empowerment of Persons with Intellectual Disabilities
- National Institute of Electronics & Information Technology (NIELIT); National Institute of Fashion Technology; NITTTRs; Rural Management
- School for Aircraft Maintenance Engineer/ ST Institute of Aeronautics; Solar Energy Courses; State Universities; Technical Education; Under Graduate
23. Job Oriented Courses:
- Job Oriented Courses – others; Inadequate infrastructure; Promised services not provided; Schedule classes not arranged regularly; Study material not given
- District Consumer Dispute Redressal Commission; National Consumer Dispute Redressal Commission; State Consumer Dispute Redressal Commission
- Bar Council; Address of Bar Council; The lawyer is delaying case proceedings; The lawyer is demanding more money; The lawyer is not attending the hearings; The lawyer is not filing the case; The lawyer is not giving the receipt of pay
- Legal; Address of National Commission; The bench is not complete; Not accepting applications without a lawyer; The procedure adopted by the consumer forum; The requirement for filing Appeals
- Add. of Consumer Forum; Delay in Execution; Delay in proceeding & Decision; Limitations to filing complaints & appeal; Pecuniary/Territorial Jurisdiction of CF; Territorial Jurisdiction of Consumer Forum; Mediation Center – Address of Center
25. Legal Metrology:
- Legal Metrology – others; Charging more than MRP; Controller’s Address; Country of Origin of Product; Customer Care details are not given on the packet; Increasing/ Smudging of MRP
- Non-Standard pack; Not providing manufacturing month & year; Not providing the name & address of the manufacturer; Underweight pack/ Weighing less; Weighing sweets with a box
- Weighing with faulty weights & balance; Misleading Advertisements; Packaged Commodities
26. Life Insurance:
- Endowment; Life Insurance – others; Misleading Advertisement; Pension Plans; Term; ULIP; PMJJBY
- Extra Charging; Non-availability; Quality
28. Mutual Funds:
- ELSS; Mutual Funds – others; Complaint against misspelling by the bank; Complaint filled with Scores but no response; Complaint filled with SEBI but no response
- Liquidation of Trust; Misguided by brokers/bank/agent; non-receipt of maturity amount; Non-Receipt Mutual Fund Paper; Not satisfied by SEBI response; SIP
- Auto Loans; Chit Fund; Company Deposits; Consumer Product Loans; Home Finance; NBFCs – others; Despite making payments NBFC levying charges; Detention of goods mortgage without notice
- EMI deducted but loan not disbursed; Not making payment on maturity/company does not exist; Issues related to the incorrect rate of interest/ Documents/ ECS/ Foreclosure charges; Loan sanctioned but not disbursed
- Made payments but the agent did not deliver the loan product; Misbehaviour/ Miss selling by Staff/ DSA/ Agents; NBFC excess payment received but not returned
- Not giving NOC/ NO dues even after returning the loan/ Original documents after returning the loan; The scheme failed & has not received the refund; Personal Loans
30. Packers & Movers:
- Packers & Movers – others; Asking excess charges than agreed; Denial of door delivery; Non/Late/Damage delivery of the parcel
- Not giving insurance claim; Paid amount not refunded; Parcel Missing; Promised services not provided
- 31. Petroleum:
- CNG; LPG; Black marketing; Delivery of expired cylinder; Booking cancelled without intimation; Dealer’s misbehaviour; Delay in/not transferring of the connection; Delay in getting new/DBC connection
- Leakages/regulatory faulty issues; Not getting subsidy/subsidized cylinders; Overcharging for new connection; Subsidy not received in Aadhar linked bank account
- Connection blocked with lame excuses; Refused home delivery; Compelled to by Gas stove and other items; Dealer is not attending customer’s call
- Delay in delivery; Extra charges for home delivery; Manipulation/Underweight; Misleading Advertisement; Petrol Pumps
- Overcharging; Adulteration in petrol; Manipulation with quality/Meter; Petroleum – others; PNG; Research association/ Institute
- Postal; Amount Deposited, not shown in passbook; Delay in opening A/c / Not opening A/c – no reason given; Delay in the transfer of A/c Not transfer of A/c
- Delay or not receiving the money order; Delay/non-Delivery of Registry/ Speed post/ Parcel; The discrepancy in interest amount/ interest not received; Door delivery not provided
- The endowment of PLI/ RPL maturity amount does not get; Insurance/Deposit documents not received; Postal items delivered but not received by receiver/beneficiary
- RD/NSC/KVP matured but the amount not received; Received in Bad condition or pilferage; Required postal order denominations not available; Postal Financial Services; Postal Mail Services
33. Private Education:
- IT coaching; Learning App and Portal; Play School; Private Education – others
34. Public Distribution System:
- Applied for ration card but was not issued; Black marketing; Complaint against PDS; Non-Availability of Stock; Overcharging/ Poor quality; Problem with Ration Depot
- Providing less quantity; Shopkeeper charging for ration card; Shopkeeper not providing ration; Supply not on time; Unsatisfactory redressal of complaint about PDS services
- Autonomous Publication House; Magazine; Newspaper; Publication – others; Delay in delivery & Excess charges; False promises and Fift complaints.
- Internet subscription / Accessibility Problem; Internet subscription not provided; Non-Receipt of Magazine/Newspaper; Payment made still subs. not received; Subscription details not received
- IRCTC – Air Ticketing, Catering, E-Ticketing, Tourism; Railways – others; Lack of information on the platform for the delay in train; No refund on train cancellation/ delay more than 3 hrs
- No refund/ delay more than 90 days after filing TDR; One seat/berth allotted to more than one passenger; Charges more than ticket amount
- Deficiency in services at the railway station; Delays/non-refund on train cancellation; Delays/loss/damage of parcel/luggage; Railway department misguiding; Transaction failed/; Cancelled money not refunded
- Govt. Development Authorities; Misleading Advertisement; Private Developers/Builders; Real Estate – others; Asking extra money for various Amenities/maintenance charges
- Asking for more money than agreed; Builders unbalanced agreement; Cancellation of booking without information; Charging more money than the original place
- Construction not completed within the promised time; Delay in / Not getting possession; Fraudulent issue – Demanding extra money by the builder for allotment/transfer of flat
- Misuses of documents/signature/KYC; Low-quality building materials used; Not giving promised booked plot/flat; Not refunding money/Cheque bounced
- Promised area/amenities/services not given; Property documents/other documents not given; Sale of disputed land/property; RWA & Societies; Urban Transport – Metro Rail
38. Retail Outlets:
- Brand Franchise; Departmental Stores; Food outlets; Retail outlets – others; After-sales service not provided; Country of origin of the product
- Delay in providing services, delivery of defective/ wrong product; Non/delay in delivery of the product; Nonveg food delivered instead of veg and vice-versa; Paid amount not refunded; Promised offer/gift not provided; shopping malls; Strand Alone Shops
39. School Education:
- Central Board; School Education – others; Admission cancelled but fee not refunded; Asking fees for admission/examination/curriculum activities; non-Recognition of school
- Non/partial refund of fees; Not issuing/Charging fee for the transfer & character certificate; Not providing basic/promised services; Seat Reserved under Reserved Quota given to others/general
40. Shares & Securities:
- Misleading Advertisement; SEBI – Securities-related grievance; The complaint filed underscores that no responses were received; Loss of physical shares by the registrar
- Shares allotted not showing in Demat; Shares not allotted/refunded; Shares transactions squared without any information; Share Brokerage
- Agmark; BEE stars; BIS – Enforcement; Hall Mark; ISI; ISO; Silk Mark; Standards – others; BIS – ENF – Misuse of Standard Marks; Fake standard mark; Hall Mark – Enquiry of Hall Marking Centres
- Hall Mark – Hallmark assaying centre; Mark on jewellery mandatory or not; Marks of Hallmark Jewellery; ISI – BIS stands for what; ISI – Benefits to Consumers; Trademarks
- Telecom – others; Activation of unsubscribed services/plan; Amount debited but connection not recharged; Broadband/Internet not working/ slow speed; Connection not working/ Disconnection/ Service barred
- Customer care services blocked/barred; Defective Handset/instrument; Delay in Activation/Providing Connection; Delay in Migration/Change in Plan; Delay in resolving the complaint
- Inflated bills/Overcharging; Irregular/Unsatisfactory service; Network problem/Call drops issue; Non-refund/ Partial refund of Security; Not disconnecting Connection
- Portability related issues; Promotional calls/SMS; Receipt of Bills Despite Payments; Required top-up value not provided; Threatening calls/Misbehaviour; Unfair Deductions/Deduction without any VAS
- VAS activated without consent; Wrong promises by telecom companies; Voice – GSM, 4G, VoLTE; Voice – Landline
43. Travel & Tourism:
- Holiday Package; Offline Hotels & Resorts; Shrine Boards Yatra; State Govt. Tourism Package; Timeshare Membership; Travel & Tourism – others
44. Water Supply:
- Sewage; Water – others; Contaminated water; Delay/non-receipt of bills; Inflated billsNo supply; Not providing meter/connection; Sewerage issue; Water supply
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) About Consumer Protection (2019), NCH
Q. What is the Consumer Protection Act, of 2019
A. Consumer Protection Act, 2019 is an amended version of the Consumer Protection act, of 1986. It empowers consumer rights and provides a mechanism to redress the grievances about the products & services for which a consumer pays.
Q. What are the New Provisions of the Consumer Protection Act, of 2019
A. The government has added some new provisions to the Consumer Protection Act, of 2019. These are some new provisions for which consumers can register complaints to NCH or the consumer commission.
- Establishment of the Central Consumer Protection Authority (CCPA)
- Changes in the Pecuniary Jurisdiction
- Alternate Dispute Resolution through mediation
- Unfair Contract
- Strict Norms for Misleading Advertisement
- Inclusion of E-commerce, Direct selling
- Greater ease of dispute resolution
- Strict Norms for product liability
- In addition in the clause of “Unfair Trade Practice”
Q. Who is Consumer according to Consumer Protection Act, 2019?
A. According to the Consumer Protection Act, 2019 the ‘buys any goods’ in any expression or hires and gets any services that include offline or online transactions by means of multi-level marketing, teleshopping/e-commerce shopping, or electronic means.
The consumer is defined as a person who has been fully paid, partial paid or promised to pay in any means or may come under any system of deferred payment for such goods or beneficiary of services.
Q. Who is not a Consumer?
A. According to the provisions of the Consumer Protection Act, 2019 – “Commercial purpose does not include use by a person of goods bought and used by him exclusively for the purposes of earning his livelihood by means of self-employment.”
Conditions not acceptable as a Consumer:
- Goods free of charge (Not paid)
- Services free of charge
- Goods for resale or for any commercial purposes
- Services for any commercial purposes
- Services under the contract of service
Q. What are the Consumer Rights provided in the provisions of the Consumer Protection Act, 2019?
A. These are the six consumer rights that are provided in Consumer Protection Act, 2019 to the Consumers:
- Right to be Informed
- Right to Choose
- Right to Safety
- Right to Consumer Awareness
- Right to be Heard
- Right to Seek Redressal
Q. What are Consumer Grievance Dispute Redressal Authorities/Agencies?
A. Consumer Grievance Dispute Redressal Authorities/Agencies work on the 3 levels as a quasi-judicial body. The 3-Level of Consumer Commission:
- District Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission or District Commission
- State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission or State Commission
- National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission or National Commission
Q. What are the Product & Service Value Limits of the Consumer Commission according to CPA, 2019?
A. Limit of the product & service case value in the Consumer Commission under CPA, 2019:
|Consumer Protection Act (CPA), 2019
|Product & Service Value Limit|
|District Commission||Up to 1 cr|
|State Commission||1 cr – 10 cr|
|National Commission||Above 10 cr|
Q. What are the grounds to claim compensation from the product manufacturer?
A. The claim compensation should be paid by the product manufacturer to the consumer, If the product:
- Defective in design
- A deviation from manufacturing specifications
- Manufacturing defected
- Does not conform to the express warranty
- Fails to include adequate instructions on correct usage to prevent any harm or any warning regarding improper or incorrect usage.
Q. What type of reliefs are provided by Consumer Commission to the Consumers?
A. The type of relief that consumers expect from the Consumer Commission under CPA, 2019:
- Refund of the price paid
- Removal of defects from the goods
- Replacement of the goods
- The compensation for the loss or injury suffered due to a service or product
- Removal of deficiencies & defects in product & service
- To stop, discontinue or ban the unfair trade practice or restrictive trade practice
- Ban the hazardous goods or pressurise to follow the guidelines to handle hazardous goods from being offered to sale
- If loss of injury faced by a large number of consumers then compensation must be paid (not less than 25% of product or service value) as determined by the commission
- To issue guidelines to correct misleading advertisements & can order to pay refund or compensation
- To provide adequate costs to parties
Q. Where can approach if Consumers are not satisfied with the order of the Consumer Commission?
A. If the consumer is not satisfied or grievance is not redressed within the given time period by the Consumer Commission. You can approach the higher authority or commission.
Details of the Consumer Commission and grievance redressal time by higher authority:
|Higher Consumer Commission/Authority||Time Limit|
|Against the order of the District Commission before the State Commission||Within 30 days|
|Against the order of the State Commission before the National Commission||Within 30 days|
|Against the order of the National Commission before the Supreme Court||Within 45 days|
- Consumer Protection Act, 2019
- Knowledge base faqs of INGRAM, NCH
- Faqs of Consumer Protection Act, 2019