Download the ComplaintHub App

Download the ComplaintHub App

How to Register a Complaint about Vehicle Licenses to RTO or Higher Authorities?


Vehicle licenses are essential documents that authorize the holders to drive a motor vehicle on public roads. They are issued by the Regional Transport Offices (RTOs) of the respective states and union territories in India.

However, sometimes the applicants or the license holders may face issues or grievances related to the issuance, renewal, suspension, or cancellation of their vehicle licenses. In such cases, they have the right to register a complaint and seek redressal from the competent authorities.

Registering a License Complaint

The first step to register a complaint about vehicle licenses is to contact or file a complaint online to the concerned RTO where the license was issued or applied for. Each RTO has a designated helpline number and email address where the complainants can call or write to express their grievances and seek assistance.

The list of the helpline numbers and email addresses of all the RTOs in India can be found on the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH).

For complaints related to online applications through Parivahan, MoRTH, for learner vehicle licenses or other license services, you can contact the below-appointed technical support team:

For other issues, you may email at:

Alternatively, the complainants can also register their complaints online through the Parivahan Sewa portal of the MoRTH. The portal provides a link to the Grievance Redressal System for each service in respective states, where the complainants can fill out an online form with their personal details, license details, grievance details, and supporting documents.

The portal also allows the complainants to track the status of their complaints through the Sarathi portal (and Mobile App) and receive updates via SMS and email.

If citizens have any queries regarding Parivahan Sewa, they should read the Manual for Citizen Guide issued by the MoRTH.

Issues that Citizens may Face

The state governments are responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 and the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 in their respective jurisdictions. They also provide various services and facilities related to vehicle licenses, such as online application, fee payment, appointment booking, verification, delivery, etc. However, the citizens may face some issues or problems while availing these services, such as:

- Advertisement -
  • Delay in the issuance or renewal of the license
  • Discrepancy or error in the license details
  • Loss or damage to the license
  • Non-receipt of the license by post
  • Suspension or cancellation of the license without a valid reason
  • Harassment or corruption by the RTO staff or agents
  • Technical glitches or errors in the online portal or system
  • Lack of information or guidance from the RTO officials
  • Non-compliance or violation of the rules and regulations by the RTOs

Escalate Complaints to Higher Authorities

If the complainants are not satisfied with the response or resolution of their complaints by the concerned RTOs, they can escalate their complaints to the higher authorities for further action. The hierarchy of the authorities for complaint escalation is as follows:

  • Level 1: RTO
  • Level 2: Transport Commissioner of the State
  • Level 3: Secretary of the State Transport Department

The complainants can contact the higher authorities by writing a letter or an email or lodging an online grievance with their complaint details and the reference number of their previous complaints. They can also attach copies of the relevant documents and evidence to support their claims.

To escalate a complaint related to vehicle services, citizens can use the public grievance redressal portal of each state. If the matter belongs to the jurisdiction of the central government or union territories, file a complaint through the Centralized Public Grievance Redress and Monitoring System (CPGRAMS), a public grievance portal.

Citizens can also submit a physically written grievance letter. The contact details of the higher authorities can be obtained from the official websites of the state transport departments and the MoRTH. The complainants can also visit the offices of the higher authorities personally and submit their complaints in person.

First published on:


Complaint Hub has verified all the information on the post. If you have not found any solution, or information related to your issue, or want guidance to get redressal of any unique problem/complaint then you can connect with us without any hesitation.

You can message us directly from our Contact Us page or mail us at SUPPORT - We will respond to you with the procedure and guidance for your issues to get a faster resolution.

Read the Terms and Conditions to use the information for any commercial or profit purpose (Don't violate the Terms of Use). All the information is provided for self-help and guidance to know the rights of the common people.


BJP Manifesto 2024

BJP Manifesto 2024: What are the “Modi Ki Guarantee” in This Election?

boAt customer data breach

Massive boAt Data Breach Exposes Sensitive Information of 7.5 Million Customers on the Dark Web

Congress Manifesto

Congress Manifesto 2024: What is Special in Election Manifesto of Indian National Congress (INC)?

SC declared electoral bonds scheme unconstitutional.

Electoral Bond Case: Supreme Court Has Declared the Electoral Bond Scheme as Unconstitutional

How to file a noise pollution complaint

Noise Pollution: Its Effects and How to File a Noise Pollution Complaint?

Challenges faced by the Railway exam candidates.

RRB Exams: What are the Common Complaints or Issues faced by the Candidates for Railway Jobs?

Also Read

Filing a complaint about government hospitals

Where to file a complaint against government hospitals?

PHED Water, Rajasthan

PHED: How to File Water Complaints in Rajasthan?

Haryana CM Grievance Cell Logo

Haryana CM Grievance Cell: File a Complaint About Public Services, Government Offices, or Departments in Haryana?


HMWSSB: How to File a Water Complaint to Hyderabad Metropolitan Water Supply and Sewerage Board?

File a medicine and drugs complaint

How to File a Medicine or Drugs Complaint in India?

Chennai City Police Logo

Chennai Police: How to File a Police Complaint and FIR to Chennai City Police?