The 18th general election is near in India. As a voter, you have the right to vote in your constituency. The Election Commission of India (ECI) is responsible for conducting elections, registering voters, and resolving the grievances related to voters and ongoing voting polls.
In April-May 2024, the elections will be scheduled. If you are eligible to vote then register yourself as a Voter. Those who are facing any type of issues such as address correction, changing the constituencies, or other problems regarding Voter ID, resolve your issues by complaining or using the Voter Service Portal (VSP) of ECI.
How to Register as a Voter?
If you are an Indian citizen and above 18 years of age, you can register as a voter by following these steps.
1. Required Documents:
- Proof of age, such as a birth certificate, school leaving certificate, passport, Aadhaar card, etc.
- A proof of address, such as a ration card, passport, driver’s license, bank passbook, utility bill, etc.
- A passport-size photograph.
- Visit the VSP portal (voters.eci.gov.in) or the ECI Voter Helpline app and click on the option of new voter registration (Sign up/Login).
- Fill in the online form with your details, such as name, date of birth, address, etc. You can also upload your photo and supporting documents, such as proof of age, proof of address, etc.
- Submit the form and note down the reference number for tracking the status of your application.
Alternatively, you can also visit your nearest voter registration centre or contact your BLO and fill in the physical form (Form 6) and submit it along with the required documents. If you are a Non-Resident Indian (NRI), download and submit the physical form 6A.
After verification, your name will be added to the electoral roll and you will receive your voter ID card by post or by hand.
How to Complain about Voter ID Registration and Correction?
If you have any issue or error in your voter ID registration or correction, you can directly call the voter helpline number 1950 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org to raise your concerns. Additionally, voters can also register an online complaint to the Election Commission of India.
- Visit the VSP Portal (National Grievance Redressal System) or the ECI Citizen Helpline app and click on the option of correction of entries in the electoral roll.
- Fill in the online form with your details and the details of the correction required. You can also upload the supporting documents, such as proof of name change, proof of address change, etc.
- Submit the form and note down the reference number for tracking the status of your complaint/application.
- After verification, your details will be corrected in the electoral roll and a new voter ID card will be delivered to your postal address.
Citizens can also visit the nearest Block Level Officer (BLO) to submit a correction form with supporting documents.
For any specific case, write to the ECI at the postal address: Election Commission Of India, Nirvachan Sadan, Ashoka Road, New Delhi 110001.
If you have complaints regarding the conduct of the Election Commission of India, lodge a public grievance through the Centralized Public Grievance Redress and Monitoring System (CPGRAMS) of the Government of India.